Americans Overwhelmingly Support Stricter Gun Laws, 2023 Poll Shows
Recent polling data reveals that the majority of Americans are in favor of passing stricter gun legislation. A 2023 Fox News poll asked registered voters about their views on a variety of potential new gun laws and restrictions. The results paint a clear picture – most voters want to see change when it comes to gun regulation in the United States.
Key Findings of the 2023 Fox News Poll on Gun Control
The Fox News poll asked voters whether they would support or oppose the implementation of various gun control measures. The poll found:
Over 80% Support Expanded Background Checks
- A resounding 87% of voters surveyed said they would support requiring criminal background checks for all gun buyers in the US.
- Only 11% said they would oppose such a policy.
Raising Minimum Age to Buy Guns Garners Widespread Support
- 81% of voters polled said they would favor increasing the minimum age to purchase guns from 18 to 21 years old.
- Just 17% of respondents opposed this measure.
Mental Health Checks Also Receive Over 80% Approval
- Requiring mental health checks for all firearm purchases was supported by 80% of voters.
- Only 18% opposed mandatory mental health screenings.
Allowing Police to Remove Guns from At-Risk Individuals Popular
- 80% of voters surveyed supported empowering police officers to confiscate weapons from individuals deemed dangerous.
- Just 18% opposed this type of ‘red flag’ law.
Majority Favor Banning Assault Rifles and Semi-Automatics
- While not as overwhelmingly supported as other measures, 61% of voters still said they would favor prohibiting assault rifles and semi-automatic weapons.
- 36% opposed such a ban.
Widespread Agreement Across Party Lines on Gun Reform
Interestingly, the Fox News poll found large majorities of Republicans, Democrats, and Independents supported passing stricter gun laws:
Over 70% of Republicans Favor Expanded Background Checks, Age Limit
- 77% of Republican respondents favored mandating universal background checks for gun purchases.
- 73% supported increasing the legal age to buy guns to 21.
Democrats Show Over 90% Support for Gun Control Measures
- An immense 96% of Democrats polled said they back universal background check laws.
- Similarly, 95% support increasing the minimum age for gun buying to 21.
Independents Align Closely with Republicans on Gun Reform
- Like Republicans, 75% of Independent voters favored expanding background checks for all firearm sales.
- 80% support raising the minimum age to purchase guns to 21 years old.
Law Enforcement Overwhelmingly in Favor of Stricter Gun Regulation
The 2023 Fox poll also surveyed police officers specifically on their views about implementing tighter gun laws:
91% of Police Support Expanded Background Checks
- An overwhelming 91% of law enforcement officers said they favor requiring universal background checks for all gun sales.
81% Favor Raising Minimum Age to Buy Guns
- 81% of police officers surveyed support increasing the legal age to purchase firearms to 21 years old.
Mental Health Checks Also Popular Among Police
- Requiring mental health screenings prior to gun purchases was backed by 72% of law enforcement respondents.
Most Officers Support ‘Red Flag’ Gun Confiscation Laws
- Almost 60% of police surveyed support implementing ‘red flag’ laws to remove guns from high-risk individuals.
Gun Owners Also Voice Support for Certain Restrictions
While the Fox News poll confirms gun owners continue to oppose outright weapon bans, they do support other more moderate gun control measures:
70% of Gun Owners Support Expanded Background Checks
- 70% of weapon owners polled said they favor implementing universal background checks for all firearm transactions.
55% Back Minimum Age Increase to 21
- Over half (55%) of gun owners support raising the legal age to buy guns to 21 years old.
Mental Health Checks Also Win Majority Approval
- Requiring mental health screenings prior to gun purchases was supported by 52% of weapon owners surveyed.
Conclusion: Strong Bipartisan Agreement on Passing New Gun Laws
The sweeping support for gun law reform found in the 2023 Fox News poll reveals a rare point of bipartisan agreement amongst voters of all affiliations. While outright bans on weapons like assault rifles remain divisive, measures like universal background checks, age limit increases, and mental health evaluations are overwhelmingly favored across party lines. With law enforcement also voicing strong support for these policies, the polling data presents a mandate for lawmakers to take legislative action. By implementing sensible gun restrictions supported by a majority of Americans, Congress has an opportunity to pass life-saving reforms while also bridging the partisan divide.
Q: What percentage of Americans support universal background checks for gun purchases?
A: An overwhelming 87% of Americans support requiring universal background checks for all firearm purchases, according to the 2023 Fox News poll.
Q: How many Republicans favor raising the minimum age to buy guns to 21?
A: 73% of Republican respondents said they support increasing the minimum age to purchase guns to 21 years old.
Q: What gun control policy do police officers favor the most?
A: 91% of police officers surveyed said they support mandating universal background checks for all gun buyers.
Q: Do most gun owners support any new firearm restrictions?
A: Yes. 70% of gun owners polled said they favor implementing universal background checks on all gun sales.
Q: How rare is the bipartisan agreement found on gun control measures like background checks?
A: The strong support across party lines for gun reforms like universal background checks is exceptionally rare in such a polarized political climate.